Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Civil War Of Violence On Black Women And Their Children Continues

Repeatedly on the blog What About Our Daughters, people have criticized the blog's founder and those of us affiliated with her blog of having unrealistic expectations about expecting any of the presidential candidates to speak out on the violent gang rape and assault case that occurred at Dunbar Village in Florida. Well, today more than ever, I am completely behind Gina and her conviction that we as black women have the RIGHT and the OBLIGATION to demand that these politicians pay attention to the increasing dangerous and unlivable conditions of African American women and their children.

I was enraged, heartbroken, and saddened when the equivalent of Dunbar Village occurred in the state I live late yesterday evening. Gina Hunt, 24 and her son Jordan, 23 months, Hunt's friend, Andrea Yarrell, also 24 and her 4 month-year-old daughter, Charlii, were shot multiple times by two men in their own home. There are no suspects in custody, but Marion County Sheriff Frank Anderson vowed, "Whoever is responsible for this, we're going to track you down like dogs, We're not going to stop until we find you and put you in a cage where you belong."

From reading the various news reports, this case sounds drug-related. I'm not sure if the women were involved in drugs, but clearly someone connected to them may have been. And whether this case is drug-related or not, matters not to me. What kind of world are we living in that someone, anyone, could shoot a woman holding her child in her arms? Not only does it seem that black women's lives don't matter, clearly the lives of their children are worth even less. This case should be national news, the cowardly thugs that committed this awful crime should have absolutely nowhere to hide, no safe haven.

Considering this terrible new case and the fact that an arrest has been made in the Stepha Henry case, bringing that missing persons case to the dreadful conclusion that its now a murder case, I have had enough.

This my line in the sand.

I will report on this case until someone is caught and brought to justice. We, as black women cannot and should not allow people to believe that they can destroy us without a word being spoken or any action being taken. These women and their children were on this earth, someone loved them, they loved each other. We owe them more than being remembered as victims of violent inner city crime. They need to be remembered as black women who struggled to make a place for themselves and their children in this world. Their children need to be remembered as little ones that did not get the chance to experience this world.

10 comments:

tasha212 January 16, 2008 at 1:27 AM  

I am so saddened but not shocked or surprised that three more lives have been taken senselessly. I hope they catch the animals who committed this crime soon.

Tasha
www.thesowingcircle.blogspot.com

wisdomteachesme January 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM  

you know, it is said, that evil will attack the women first by using men.

such evil....i am just filled with sadness and disgust at the same time,,,a righteous anger rises in my spirit!

of course people are going to attack gina (WAOD), she is doing good for all and again, evil does not like that--the manipulation of peoples minds, hearts and their flesh, is easy to do-they have never been transformed for goodness. evil does not have to push them much to do these terrible acts.

i pray for the work of gina's hands-that God take it and keep it, all the time,, truthfully--i pray for all of you all that are working for Goodness and Justice!

thanks prof tracey for keeping me up to date on things...

Anonymous,  January 16, 2008 at 8:55 AM  

When I read this yesterday it made me truly pause. It hurt even more than Dunbar Village.

SheCodes January 16, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

This story stopped me in my tracks. I was planning to do a post on it, but now I'll just link to your post.

Thank you for taking this devastating story on.

SheCodes January 16, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

I forgot that the article that I read did not include their pictures.

I searched everywhere for these pics, because I knew that if there was no picture with the article, it MUST have been sisters who were murdered.

Mahoganydymond™ January 16, 2008 at 2:22 PM  

No matter what life the lead. I don't understand how a human can take another person's life. It hurts more that it was innocent children that were killed to. May God be with their family and love ones.

Tami January 16, 2008 at 7:05 PM  

There are no words. I live in Indiana, too. Frankly, I am disheartened, but not surprised, that there hasn't been more news coverage.

Jonne Austin January 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

I read this on MSNBC I think last night but wasn't sure if it was black women or not. I had the nagging suspicion they were and what's sad about that is I felt that way because there's been some kind of FATWA issued on black women as of late. Women period, but black women are feeling a larger sting.

I was disgusted and mad. WHY would you shoot the children??? What the hell is wrong with these people?

Anonymiss January 16, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

I'm sorry but these ppl that committed this heinous crime should be taken off the planet. Children are innocent. WTF is wrong with the world today?

Hellfireblogs January 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM  

My cousin started dealing crack and coke around essex county in the 90s. He was a typical Black dealer type, pretty ignorent and such, though he carried guns he never shot someone, least of all a woman and children.

I grew up in East Orange, had guns pulled on me three times and was shot at once. I know how rough it is in the cities but this kind of thing seems to be getting common. I worked with teens in NYC and those kids all new a girl or woman that was shot/almost shot/stabbed by a dealer or gang member.

Something's changed, or I just read more now. But even my cousin recently told me he'd never set foot in East Orange again. Somethings got to be done to save the inner cities.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP