Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Coward Known As Anonymous

Yesterday, one of my blogging sistas had her blog temporarily hijacked by what is known at the blog What About Our Daughters as an Internet Ike Turner or what the blogging world calls such an individual, an Anonymous Coward.

Since I started reading, commenting, and working on blogs, I continue to be amazed at how many anonymous posters are guilty of posting some of the most racist, sexist, historically inaccurate, profanity-filled, and sometimes just plain crazy comments a person can ever read. I always wonder if that particular individual believes in the things they are posting so strongly and disagree so venomously with another blogger or commenter, why don't they have the guts to back up their comments with their name?

I believe that freedom of speech only works if people are willing to engage in an open dialogue that encourages an exchange of ideas. I'm not trying to change your mind about anything, I am just offering my view of the world and the world I live in. It boggles my mind why anyone thinks or believes that the time they spend spewing anonymous negative garbage on someone's blog makes any difference.

So, Mr. and Ms. Anonymous, you are free to remain faceless and nameless forever. Your negativity and nastiness will never stop anyone from blogging and you surely never will change any blogger's mind or their regular readers' minds about anything, in fact, you inspire them to keep doing what they are doing!

10 comments:

wisdomteachesme January 17, 2008 at 8:38 AM  

good post subject prof tracey.

and these types of people will always be around...living off the self-hate that they grow from the way they feel about themselves and the world. they are not hard to figure out--not that i give them much of my time--but they are simple, shallow and full of self hate...that sums them up..

oh, and just a note, there are some that fit into your description but do put their names to their comments--for they are proud to have people know how shallow and self consumed their lives are.

i always say,

"it's amazing how deep shallow is!"

LostGirl#1 January 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM  

I've been working on a blog (mainly for my personal enjoyment)--haven't promoted it or anything, but yet one of these Anon cowards found it.

These folks need to get their own blogs and invite like-minded people to stew in their negative brews together and leave the rest of us alone.

pinky

Tami January 17, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

And it is so hard to remember not to feed these trolls, too. After I wrote an entire post yesterday in response to a nutjob, I really had to sit back and ask why I was giving this fool my energy.

Thanks to you and my other blog sistas (and brothas) for having my back. It made me feel good.

Tami January 17, 2008 at 12:51 PM  

It is so hard to learn not to feed these trolls, too. Yesterday, after I wrote an entire post in response to one of these fools, I had to sit back and ask myself why I was giving so much energy to this nutjob. But there know how to push buttons to get a reaction.

Thanks to you and the rest of my blog family for riding to the rescue. Made me feel good!

Anonymiss January 17, 2008 at 12:51 PM  

I've been thinking about starting my own blog lately. My patience won't allow me to deal with those Anon Idiots.

You can imagine how productive their lives are by the wasted energy they spend e-harrassing.

wisdomteachesme January 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM  

yeah, you can block them (anon)from being able to comment wihout having a name/account, but they can just make one up if they are just bent on spewing....

years ago i accepted His purposes for my life-that i would not be offended by fools, or loved ones anymore. that really is what i don't have time for anymore in my life. no more wasting time being mad at people, or things, no more lost time being upset at myself for making mistakes or missed opportunities-i have learned and accepted that i have spent too much time lost, and i'm not wasting another moment living in those environments that my mind and other peoples thoughts of me or of themselves created anymore!
And i do remind myself of this new direction everyday--i have too--evil is very slick/and the flesh will lie--but i just can't go back to the way i was--living, for other people...it was killing me. Amen! I'll witness
bymyself--LOL! Yea,Amen!

...and i am getting better-much better at not allowing myself to be offended--it is easier to walk away and just say a prayer for the person each time it happens...such peace now...
sorry prof tracey--didn't mean to hold Church and take up your space. :-)

The Spirit just what came out...
\O/\O/

SheCodes January 17, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

Hey Jerseybred...

Go ahead and do your blog. I haven't been afflicted with trolls yet -- but can't wait to hit the *delete* button the first time one tries to do it.

Anonymous,  January 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

I dont allow anonymous comments. What's the point if they can't even give the time to attach a (more than likely) fake name to their comments?

I can't take anything "anonymous" seriously.

Dr. Tracey Salisbury January 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

Everyone - I completely agree. I hate that I got mad enough to do a post about the subject, but this is supposed to be America. Freedom of Speech, but be brave enough to use your own name and stand by your words.

wisdomteachesme January 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

oh please don't apologize--It need't to be written about and voiced!
no other way to bring in the solutions than to tell about the problems!

i loved it...you never know why you are posting on certian subjects-usually to get it off your chest and to allow others enlightenment!
solutions...

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP