Monday, June 23, 2008

Words For Warfare

"I ask myself, 'If I wasn't concerned with what anyone else thinks, what would I say?' And then I say it." - Danyel Smith

For Raw Dawg Buffalo - Danyel Smith is a former editor at large for Time Inc. and the current editor in chief of Vibe. She has also written for the Village Voice, Rolling Stone, Spin, the San Francisco Bay Guardian, and the New York Times. Smith is on the part-time faculty at the New School University and wrote the introduction for the New York Times’ bestseller Tupac Shakur. She has published two novels, More Like Wrestling and Bliss. Ms. Smith is responsible for getting Barack Obama to become the first politician to appear on the cover of a hip hop publication.

8 comments:

focusedpurpose June 23, 2008 at 1:36 AM  

hi Professor Tracey-

she's my people:-) great quote!

blessings,
focusedpurpose

Dr. Tracey Salisbury June 23, 2008 at 12:15 PM  

Focused Purpose -

I completely agree. I'm not sure why when they are looking for sisters to be on tv, that she doesn't have her phone ringing. She has had her finger on the pulse of young black America for the last 15 years!

tasha212 June 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

I like danyel smith! i also wondered why they never invite her to appear on those shows, especially the ones discussiong hip hop.

Faith at Acts of Faith Blog June 23, 2008 at 5:15 PM  

She's a great writer. I used to read her in the VV regularly when I lived in NYC. I was glad when Vibe named a female editor-in-chief because they are rare [outside of fashion magazines] and even fewer women of color.

Ananda June 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM  

thanks for posting danyel's words. i am a bit stuck in writer's block. her words reminded me to just say what's in my spirit and heart.

Invisible Woman June 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

Oaktown represent!

Just one of the many visionaries to come out of Oakland, CA (including myself, haha!)

Unknown July 13, 2008 at 5:12 PM  

you all make my day.

seriously. this here keeps me pushing forward.


danyel

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP