Monday, August 25, 2008

Maybe When Malia And Sasha Obama Grow Up White Folks Will Stop Telling Black Women How They Should Be And Let Them Speak And Stand For Themselves!

It's 7:52pm and it has not even been an hour of Democratic convention coverage and I am pissed at coverage of Michelle Obama. Where are the black women who can ACCURATELY and AUTHENTICALLY discuss what Michelle Obama's presence means to Black women in America during this campaign?

If I hear one more white person say what she has to do or what she must do, I'll scream!!! I can't stand them spreading this crap, but failing to accept how much racism and sexism has affected her position. No potential first lady has ever faced what Michelle Obama has had to struggle with. Instead of saying what Michelle Obama has to do, why doesn't the mainstream media say what the American people need to do in terms of learning something about Black women in America. Not to mention R-E-S-P-E-C-T-ING!!!

I believe that Michelle Obama will be amazing tonight, but I always thought she was amazing because I know where she came from and what she has achieved. Is it really a victory for black women if she manages to convince a few white folks that she and her family are just like them or not so different from them? I don't think so, it's an insulting cultural litmus and citizenship test should have never happened in the first damn place.

Black women have been in this country since it's inception. We have contributed to this nation's birth, it's growth, and it's success. Black women should not have to proven themselves to anyone! We have earned the right to enjoy the all fruits that America has because we planted the seeds! Maybe by the time the Obama girls grow up, white Americans will accept black women at face value without needing PROOF!

9 comments:

Don August 25, 2008 at 9:36 PM  

We're sitting here watching Sen. Edward Kennedy give his speech while I browse blogs. I stop listening to him long enough to read your touching post on Michelle Obama and it leaves to wonder one simple thing:

Why aren't you standing @ the podium where I am sure that you would receive a roaring ovation.

It's time...Obama '08.

N August 25, 2008 at 11:14 PM  

I missed Michelle's speech - just caught the end - but I did hear the commentary on CBS about if she "did what she had to do". Amazing how she's been put in the position of proving she's not some crazy, angry black woman.

LostGirl#1 August 25, 2008 at 11:16 PM  

Well, since Michelle isn't up there "dropping it like it's hot"...*some* folks don't know what to do with her. SMH

But they better get ready to recognize !

Jill August 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM  

Tracey, there was a woman - I am so sorry I'm blanking out - beautiful black woman commenting around 11:30 or so on one of the cable channels - did a great job - I want to say it was MSNBC but I can't remember and I can't remember her name - darn! Had long long hair, ovalish face.

But yeah - in the chat I was in (a liveblog) during the night, I couldn't stop writing, "Get those WHITE MEN OFF THE STAGE!" and started to empathesize just a wee bit with how pissed the Clinton holdouts must feel.

But whenever I see older white men, one after another, I get pretty nasty. :)

wisdomteachesme August 26, 2008 at 11:41 AM  

i hear you prof.
and i agree that certain white people have an issue with the first family.

and it IS 'their' issue--also their comments and concerns and statements are nothing new to those like us that have heard them over and over for many years. (yawn!)

but what gets me are the black women that are so jealous and self-hating, that they need to pick apart every little thing about michelle and the girls. (yawn!)

i recognize these kinds of statements, judgements and opinions-no matter how they are hidden or dressed up--they are full of selfish pride and self hatred.
anything different than what some black women focus on is picked apart.

that is why...well, never mind.

simone September 3, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Speak on it Tracey, Speak on it. I have to admit this hurts me to see them not acknowledge this well educated, articulate smart woman, who worked hard to get where she is. Does any of it count? After all these centuries why are we still having to prove ourselves? I tell you one thing I will not let anyone say anything about Michelle to make me lose repect and admiration for her. She has class and dignity and she makes me proud. There are so many hardworking black women out there doing well and doing it all. Yet it does not get represented in media. Michelle is my role model and I have nothing but love and respect for that sistah.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP