Thursday, February 19, 2009

For Those That Love Horror Movies - Quarantine And Splinter - Two Kick Ass Little Gems Of Terror

The remakes of Friday the 13th and My Bloody Valentine were completely pointless and absolutely horrible, but every horror movie fan knows the endless hit or miss rollercoaster one must ride if you love the horror movie genre. After being driven down in the depths after paying to see two crappy remakes, I am soaring after watching Splinter for free on the Sci Fi Channel (free is always good) and Quarantine that arrived on Monday in that cute red little envelope from Netflix.
I won't say anything about the flicks except that if you love horror movies like 28 Days, The Thing, Feast, or anything with killer zombie/human monsters, these flicks are for you! Both of these movies sent my pitbull, Pancho from his preferred perch on the end of my bed to the comfy confines of his kennel. Anytime a horror movie sends man or beast fleeing from the room is a very good sign.

8 comments:

Kim February 19, 2009 at 4:47 AM  

I saw Quarantine and that was an hour and a half of my life i won't get back.

Dr. Tracey Salisbury February 19, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

@Kim -

What were you expecting? That movie is quite clear in it's intentions.

Kim February 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

I expected to be scared or entertained and I was neither. It might as well have been Cloverfield Part 2

Dr. Tracey Salisbury February 19, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

@Kim -

I would never compare those two films together.

I hated the shaky camera work of Cloverfield and the only thing that interested me in that movie was the creature and the only thing I thought was "scary" was the little creatures that were jumping off the big creature. That was the only scary idea in that entire movie. Terrible acting and dumb characters.

I loved Quarantine's camerawork and how they sucked you into the tight space with the characters. I thought it had several good chair jumpers and that the acting was pretty good. I was quite entertained and they got a a flinch or two out of me.

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I think it might be a difference of what scares folks, the Jason, Freddy, Alien, Mike Myers stuff stopped being scary to me after their first films, but unknown creature/scientific dabbling stuff gets me going.

Kim February 19, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

The last horror movie I really, really liked was The Strangers. Now that had me scared and paranoid like a crackhead, looking out the window in broad daylight when I was home alone afterward...LOL

Shady_Grady February 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

In Cloverfield I was rooting for the monster.. =) I didn't care for the characters at all.

I liked Quarantine. I thought the initial setup was good and the sudden camera cuts when things started to happen worked for me.

Dr. Tracey Salisbury February 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

@Kim -

Now we are on the same page. I saw that in the movies and then completely forgot that I would be home alone. It was a long couple of nights after that. Even having my pitbull around didn't help. I own that movie and won't watch it again without company. LOL!!!

Anonymous,  February 20, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

Uhhh, i have been waiting for MONTHS for splinter and i missed it. I just got Quarantine too. Jennifer Carpenter was great in The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP