Friday, September 4, 2009

Clark Atlanta University Officials - Stop Making Excuses And Start Making Changes! We Can't Afford To Lose Any More Students Like Jasmine Lynn!

It's damn shame that students are not safe on their own college campus. The murder of Jasmine Lynn is just awful. I was disturbed to read the excuses and justifications being laid out by officials at Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark Atlanta. I'm sorry, but that is just lazy ass black folk bullshit. These three colleges should be calling a state of emergency and getting together to help improve safety on their campuses.


I just don't get it. HBCU's don't see to get moving on anything until after the damage is done and even then they move slower than molasses going uphill. They had a top quality student get murdered just because she had the bad luck of walking across campus when some fool decided to handle a disagreement with a firearm.

I've been on plenty of HBCU's over the years and I have witnessed folks sitting out in front of dorms openly smoking weed and strange folks driving and walking around campus who clearly are not students. I always found myself wondering, where in the hell is the campus security? Often times, you only had to check the campus cafeteria, there they were laughing, joking, and eating, instead of doing their damn jobs.

It's the 21st century, black folks need to do better and they need to work harder and faster. I'm sick of our people dying over preventable issues. Lock down that damn campus and protect your most precious commodity, your students!

5 comments:

Ciji September 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

I'm a CAU alum. I've always felt the CAU/Morehouse adjoining campus layout is WAY too open. Spelman has the right idea making their campus a closed one. Unfortunately, the AUC isn't in the best neighborhood. However, the school can take measures to keep the campus secure. Now, I haven't been back to CAU since I graduated in the late 90s, so perhaps they have made improvement in security.

Anonymous,  September 7, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

I work and an evening Graduate student at an HBCU in Maryland. You can find our campus safety in the various C-stores tryna cop a Tuna sandwich and steal glances at the ladies!!! LOL Shame

Within the past five years, the school has made progress by instituting an "emergency broadcast" via text message and/or email and some security gates...we'll see if those will be put into good use.

But, I think I have come to the point that I am VERY disheartened by the state of our HBCUs...top names included. We give these students a pass that will hurt them when they really begin work and function in society, they will be swallowed alive.

My heart goes out to this young lady and her family.

The Roving Reporter September 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

I'm from Atlanta and the city and those campuses have just gotten lax on what type of activity they allow to surround the campus.

The campuses' location is just pathetic. That side of the city has just deteriorated into a crime-ridden area. It's honestly a shame the city and those universities have allowed the neighborhood to get in this shape.

Hathor September 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

One can blame the Black folk of Atlanta, who after integration thought it was below them to develop the area around those campuses. I was appalled by the lack of businesses. Where was the so called black entrepreneurship of Atlanta's?

Universities and Colleges in large urban cities have their share of crime too, including murders on or near campuses. On big problem is that you have very young people who think all of the security is unnecessary. Especially those from very small towns who become enthralled by the thug life or still think they are in Idaho.

tusk91 September 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

"We give these students a pass that will hurt them when they really begin work and function in society, they will be swallowed alive."

A lot of us HBCU grads do not in anyway feel we are getting any kind of pass in any shape or form. I would bet anything that those struggling to get a degree in pharmacy at FAMU, or Pre-Med at Xavier, or in my case Engineering at Tuskegee felt that we had it easy, or given any special breaks while there.

Maybe special attention but, no special breaks and when we graduated and went off into society, there was no one getting swallowed alive.

I can speak from my experience anyway, because I am a 3rd generation HBCU grad!!!

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP