Monday, December 31, 2007

A Small Glimmer of Hope For Black Women and Girls That Still Love Hip Hop!

There is a tiny sliver of hope for women and hip hop! There are a couple of youngstas on the scene that deserve your support and attention. Meet Lil' Mama and Kid Sister!

Please remember that both of these extremely talented young ladies are still pretty young, so their lyrics reflect their age group, but they both can spit creative rhymes something serious!

If black women and girls really want to change the female image of women in hip hop, we must start locating, supporting, and celebrating positive alternatives. I have just introduced two wonderful prospects. Don't let them down!

Additional note -

I am a professor of history, principally African American, Sports, and American History, but I also teach courses on black popular culture, principally Rap Music and Hip Hop Culture, and Film.

I am always on the lookout for female rappers - hit me on my blogger e-mail if you have anyone in mind. I may just give them a shout-out on this blog!


3 comments:

Mes Deux Cents January 1, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

Professor Tracey,

I've heard the song Lip Gloss. It's a cute little song.

Honestly I'm very weary of letting myself begin to like a rapper, even woman or girl rappers.

The industry takes seemingly nice people and turns them into the enemy. I hope that these young women aren't turned into Foxy Brown or Lil Kim.

And

Happy New Year!

Thanks

SheCodes January 1, 2008 at 4:28 PM  

HAPPY NEW YEAR, PROFESSER TRACY!

I've heard the 'lip gloss' song, it's nice. I'll check out the rest of their songs, and if they're good I'll download them on iTunes for my niece.

Your blog is great... keep up the good work.

Anonymous,  January 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM  

Love Kid Sister. Hopefully her album is good.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP