Sunday, January 27, 2008

Che And Me

Those of you who are familiar with my blog, know that I am a proud owner of a two-year old pure-bred American Pitbull named Che, affectionately also known as "My Lil' Monsta." Yes, I'm one of those, a dog lover. I am not a card-carrying member of PETA, but I do strongly value the health and quality of life of my dog. We are strong running buddies, he travels with me and protects me. I love my dog very much and I consider him a part of my family.

Che loves Scooby Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog. He loves Popeye's chicken and biscuits. I no longer waste my money on chew toys, because they don't last very long and besides, Che is perfectly happy with an empty Gatorade bottle. He loves grass and hates snow. Che will high five only certain individuals and it only looks like he is laughing at you, maybe. I think if he could vote, he would vote for Barack Obama because he always barks when the brother comes on the television and Che never shows any interest in the other candidates.

I am well aware that Pitbulls have an extremely tough reputation. Yes, they are strong dogs with the capabilities to injury someone seriously, but they are also extremely affectionate and loyal dogs. As the old saying goes, there are no bad pets, but there are bad owners. There are entirely too many people out there like NFL player Micheal Vick and his boys, who are willing to abuse and mistreat pitbulls in order to train them to be aggressive and merciless fighters. It's a shameful and disgusting practice.

To add insult to injury, pitbulls that do not perform to top standards are murdered by their so-called owners and those that exhibit the "right" fighting spirit face serious injury or death from fighting. When law enforcement manages to crackdown on pitbull fighting rings, the surviving dogs face being euthanized because it is believed that pitbulls cannot be rehabilitated into household pets. I am happy to report that several long-term dog owners are trying to rescue pitbulls and give them happy and positive homes.

Speaking from my own experience, pitbulls can be an awesome family dog. They are smart, loveable, and full of endless engry. Like most dogs, they need training and lots and lots of attention, but believe me, the love and loyalty they give back is more than worth the effort. So, if you want a pitbull for a pet, do the research, know what you are getting into. If you own a pitbull now, be a responsible owner. All pitbull owners pay for the mis-steps and misfortune of one bad pitbull owner. Celebrate your pitbull, by protecting the reputation of the breed.

6 comments:

Attorneymom January 27, 2008 at 4:31 PM  

Thanks for sharing about your dog. Will he be attending Blogging While Brown??

Sidebar: You just had to mention Mike Vick. : - )

Dr. Tracey Salisbury January 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM  

I am hoping to work it out so he can come with me. I am planning to drive down, so he can travel, but it's finding a place to stay that is the issue.

I put him in a kennel when I was visiting my family and they did not take good care of him. I was not happy. I wanted to hurt somebody and I had to pray on it real hard.

I'm sorry, I will continue to throw Michael Vick under the bus FOREVER, but I do think he has more than paid for his crime.

tasha212 January 27, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

This is a sweet post, Professor Tracey. I might get a dog one day, but I'll probably get a small one. What made you decide to get a pibull?

Dr. Tracey Salisbury January 27, 2008 at 9:51 PM  

Tasha212

I always wanted a Jack Russell, but one of my former students was a licensed pitbull breeder and he remembered me discussing in class that I wanted a dog to go with my first house and he offered me Che as a house-warming gift.

I never intended to get a pitbull, I was more scared of Che as a nine-week, eighteen pound puppy than I am now that he is two and 68 pounds! I read every book, I even saw his parents in action. I knew I was getting a great and not to mention expensive dog for free.

The rest has been history. I will co-sign on the small dog, because Che can EAT, EAT, EAT!!!!

Lenoxave January 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM  

He's beautiful! I love animals and they deserve to be treated with care love and respect. Period. If you aren't up to the task, do not take on the responsibility.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP