Friday, January 11, 2008

Nickelodeon's "Kids Pick The President" 2008 Primary Program

On Sunday, January 13, at 8:30 PM EST on Nickelodeon for Nick News with Linda Ellerbee: The Kids' Primary. This show will be a valuable opportunity for children of color to learn about the political process and the importance of voting. They will get an introduction to the current presidential candidates and get the opportunity to vote in a special kids primary. Additionally, it could be a powerful teaching moment in terms of exposing how people of color are eliminated from the election process by the media.

I was completely horrified by the commerical advertising this event, no children of color were featured and there is a short clip within the commerical showing a group of white children marching and carrying Ron Paul signs. Considering his views on race and racism, that image was frightening to me!

Sit down with your child or children on Sunday evening and help them learn how to vote!

3 comments:

House of Prayer SLO January 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

There is a better way to teach your kids to vote...TAKE THEM WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO TO VOTE!
I have lots of friends that use the absentee ballot to vote. Thank God they actually vote, but I have not taken that road. I want my daughter to see me drive to the polling station, get out, walk up, sign my name, go in the booth and vote. When she asks me why I vote, I tell her that people marched and some died to ensure I would have that right. It is my responsibility to vote and have my say. When the state, county, and city voter guides come in the mail,she watches me read them. When she has questions on the differences between republicans and democrats, I tell her to read their statements in the voter guides to see what they say. Look up their websites, the voting records of candidates for each party. That is how I teach my child to vote. No popularity contests, no voting for someone or some ballot measure because everyone else is voting for or against it. I look at each issue and then decide.
My polling place actually has a separate ballot kids can fill out in a voting booth, just like the adults. It asks kid questions like: best snack foods, best comic book character, etc. I appreciate that they acknowledge the kids in this process.

Dr. Tracey Salisbury January 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM  

TAM TAM -

Thank you, you raise an excellent and important point. The parent as example. I completely agree.

As far as I am concerned now parents of children of color now have two different political activites to do with their children. Doing both things will not hurt at all!

The Nick site is very detailed and I think it is important that kids of color participate. I also believe that it has become standard practice to have kids ballots at polling places.

tasha212 January 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM  

When I was growing up, my parents always took my sister and I to the polls during election time. I would usually go in with my dad and my sister would go in with my mom. Thay taught us the value of voting and having our voices heard.

Tasha
www.thesowingcircle.blogspot.com

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP