Sunday, November 23, 2008

Maybe The Popularity Of Twilight Will Trigger Interest In Tananarive Due's Black Vampire Trilogy For A Major Feature Film

Maybe it's time some black producer or filmmaker to bust out their library cards and check out a copy of My Soul To Keep and The Living Blood, the first two books in a trilogy on African immortals. Blair Underwood has been struggling for years to get a film version of My Soul To Keep off the ground. This would be an awesome project for Will Smith and Jada Pinkett or Sanaa Lathan or Paula Patton. Hell, excite the black acting world and start a major search for two talented and hot-looking unknowns. What do you think?

7 comments:

Shady_Grady November 23, 2008 at 7:25 PM  

Due is a really compelling writer!

I would LOVE to see a movie adaptation of "My Soul to keep" or Octavia Butler's "Kindred" or even Brandon Massey's "Dark Corner".

However filmmakers are in business to make money and I don't know that enough people (Black or white) would turn out to see those movies. "Twilight" had a pretty large ready made audience. Would white people come out to see movies that don't feature them as lead characters?

Claudia November 23, 2008 at 8:36 PM  

Yes! I couldn't agree more. A big name would give it attention, but even an indie production would be something. It would be wonderful to see one of Due's suspenseful/horror stories on the screen - her novels are very engaging and don't feature a single black man in a dress! Imagine that!

Kristin November 23, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

I have never heard of this author but I am heading over to Amazon right now, thanks for the info.

Dr. Tracey Salisbury November 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM  

Shady Grady -

I'm with you. I am waiting on the movie version of Kindred, but I will not hold my breath. I disagree with you about the white audience, Tyler Perry has already proved we don't need them. In fact, if black folks make it a hit, white folks get curious enough to check it out.

Claudia -

I agree and LOL! about the dress!

Jazzy -

Let me know what you think!

B December 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM  

Blair Underwood has been trying to get these made into a film for a decade. I think he even produced a trailer for the film to try and get financing.

RainaHavock December 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

What I didn't know they had this! I must go look it up as a black horror lover.

RainaHavock December 9, 2008 at 8:07 PM  

Thank you for telling me about this. I'm going to Borders and pick it up.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP