Monday, January 26, 2009

Black Artists Association Gets Funky With The First Lady Over Her Dresswear Choices For The Inauguration

Now this is the mess we as black folks can't pull on the Obamas. First, Michelle Obama has the right to wear whatever the hell she wants, designed by whoever the hell she wants. If the first lady can't do that, then what in the hell is the point of being first lady. Second, how does the Black Artists Association know she didn't look at the work of black designers and didn't find something she liked?
Third, just cause the first lady is black, does not mean she has to become a billboard for black fashion. And what in the hell exactly made her fashion picks "Kumbaya"? It seems to me she picked clothes she liked and felt beautiful in. And that clearly showed throughout the entire day and evening. First Lady Michelle Obama has 4 years, possibly 8 long years to pick out the latest fashions to wear for the nation, she doesn't need black designers squawking in her first week on the job.

My advice to black designers is to stop flapping your lips and start working those pencils and sketch pads. Step your game up and come with some tight designs and I'm sure the first lady will be interested. The Obamas don't strike me as folks that can be pushed around, so if you want to make sure Michelle Obama NEVER wears your stuff, keep bashing her.

14 comments:

Jazine January 26, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Absolutely, Professor Tracey! I heard this nonsense and thought, why do some blacks have to act up? It's comes off like they should get a pass because they share the same racial classification as the First Lady. It also looks like they are afraid of fairly competing with everyone else. I hate when some of us act like fools. I'm afraid this will be a first by misguided black people, black groups, etc., who will attempt to take the Obamas to task because they didn't keep it real. SMH!

RainaHavock January 26, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

Cosign 100% with this post! Thank you Professor Tracy!

BLKSeaGoat January 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Now why can't I find a website for that Pseudo-New-African-wannabe-activist-artist, so I can tell him to grow a pair and STFU?

I'm just saying. It's First Lady Obama's choice, it's her back, and just because she's black don't expect her to like things created by someone who happens to share her skin tone and ethnicity. Such a crabs in the barrel mentality is dated and played.

He needs to take his whining elsewhere and follow your advice PT.

Saved Girl January 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

Sister honey chile, I can't say Amen to this posting enough! I 100%'ly cosign with you. Nice blog too.

Divalocity January 26, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Ditto that for me too! When I saw this it made my blood boil.LOL! We of all people need to be less xenophobic of other cultures.

Anonymous,  January 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Like someone said on another board, soon they are going to diss her for not wearing fashion fair cosmetics.

T. Nichol January 26, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

Unfortunately, there was always be people who will find something to complain about. Especially when they do get there way. Let's just hope that this type of thing is going to be rare the next 4 years.

Anonymous,  January 27, 2009 at 12:21 AM  

I completely agree with everyone in regards to this post. I'm sorry, but the so called black designers do nothing for me (FUBU, Dada, Baby Phat, etc etc) or they are in high end stores (Tracy Reece). I would love to support Tracy Reece, but I do not have the money for it. I love classy, sexy, stylish pieces, but BLACK designers are not making them...and I don't want none of the guady stuff in Essence's clothes catalogue. If there is a designer that designs classy, sexy, stylish pieces...let me know!

Anonymous,  January 27, 2009 at 7:33 AM  

so do they think their complaints will compel her to pick them in the future? that was a real smooth move on their part....

Claudia January 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

LOL @ Michelle O. in Fashion Fair cosmetics!! I was actually very impressed that she selected an outfit by a Cuban-American designer and another who was born in Taiwan (if I'm not mistaken).

Kim January 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

Well they better be glad I'm not First Lady because for the entire 8 years I would purposely NOT wear a black designers just to shut complaining mofo's up. No one is obligated to wear a black designer just because they are black. I've only heard like umpteenth rap songs mentioning designers names and none of them black, I don't see those folks getting called out for not big uppin' black designers in their songs...LOL

Unknown January 27, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

I agree with another poster, I wouldn't wear anything. If someone makes something she likes then if she wants to wear it she should...or do we have to wear FUBU or Baby Phat; Sean John to provide support to the Black "community'?


And are the same crazy standards expected from President Obama?

Too many people forget that there are real issues out there...I don't give a damn about what she wears, what she eats or any other stupid shit.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP