Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tyler Perry Really Needs To Stay Far, Far Away From Adapting "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuf"

This is horrifying news. I have no problem with Tyler Perry directing an adaptation of this play, he's probably the only dude in Hollywood that can get this film made. I am completely horrified that he intends to adapt and write the screenplay.


One thing Tyler Perry has made clear in his successful career - that he has absolutely no idea how to present a black woman on screen that is not a blatant and old fashioned stereotype of either the loud-mouthed mammy, the slutty jezebel, the crack whore, or the long-suffering good Christian woman.

Not only is Ntozake Shange's most famous work extremely emotionally charged and culturally complex, much has changed for black women since the 1970s when the play was originally presented. Perry needs to understand Shange's original intentions, but modernize her views for a 21st century audience. I've seen nothing in his work that proves he has the capability to write a screenplay that will successfully achieve such a delicate balance.

There are all kinds of qualified sista filmmakers and writers that could be tapped to write this screenplay and capture the essence of Shange's work and the current state of black women in America. I would hate to see the legacy of Shange's signature work be crushed by the Hollywood machine.

Read Latoya Peterson's piece on this news and Alyssa Rosenberg's take as well.

Make sure to catch the early casting "news" - Halle Berry, Angela Bassett, and Jill Scott. All three of those names give me pause for different reasons, but I'm not going to snap on anyone until the final cast is named, but let me know what you think. I will say my first thought was, who's next, Sanaa Lathan, Jada Pinkett, and Gabrielle Union? LOL!

Only one thing is clear, it still sucks to be black and female in Hollywood.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  September 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

I have, like, a crack addict itch going on when I heard about this. I mean, seriously, why couldn't they let Whoopi keep it? It would've stayed true to form if she was producing it. Okay, what about Will and Jada? I thought they did a pretty good job on Secret Lives of Bees and it seemed to stay close enough to the book.

Unfortunately, I won't be going to see this movie, even if they do have stellar casting...noooo, can't do it.

Hadassah September 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

Ahm I am biased but I feel if Tyler Perry wants to take on this project, he should rewrite and cast this screen play with people who understand this screen play deeper and better than he does. I mean he shoud just provide the studio and money and resources.

Daddy Squeeze Me! September 10, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

OMG I HAVE THIS ON DVD...PLEASE DONT ..I HAVE THE ORIGINAL AND WHO THE HELL IS GONNA REPLACE PATTI LABELLE ON THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK...DONT GET ME STARTED ON PATTI LABELLE...SHE AND DELLA REESE AS YOU CAN OBVIOUSLY SEE ARE MY ULTIMATE 2 FAVS....I HAVE ALL OF HER ALBUMS..EVERY ONE...I KNOW EVERY SONG...IF SOMEONE SCREWS UP PATTIS MUSIC...IM COMIN FOR BLOOD

AND PLEASE DOTN MAKE IT GHETTO..IT IS SUCH A TOUCHING MONOLOGUE RIDDEN PLAY...PLEASE DONT.

oregonsistah September 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM  

oh,oh,oh, and don't forget the attention wh...e Beyonce is going to have her daddy make sure she gets top billing...Tyler has a studio, can finance and allow people trained in screenwriting, etc make it the masterpiece it is...But remember, he is an Oprah clone they want to write, produce, own, etc and have their name on everything....

Hathor September 12, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

I think it should be a film of the play. On stage, minimal set.

Invisible Woman September 26, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

I can't even process thoughts of Tyler Perry any more--I'm exhausted and done.

Unknown December 8, 2009 at 1:09 AM  

Thank you thank you! I'm been saying the same thing about Tyler Perry for the longest time and I either get blank looks from black women or put out speeches from non blacks who really either want to and/or do really with their whole hearts believe those are the ONLY types of black women. He ruins everything he touches, all of his productions are wasted opportunities, trite bile that entrench stereotypes.

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP