Saturday, September 27, 2008

Presidential Debate #1 - Advantage Obama

Overall, I thought the debate was a draw without a clear winner. I believe that Barack Obama accomplished what he needed to do, he looked in control, sounded knowledgeable, and never lost his cool. He could have been less agreeable with McCain, but he proved that he can handle foreign policy without being flustered or caught flat-footed. Obama is a gentleman and it is just not his style to be nasty. I think the folks that claim that Obama doesn't have the knowledge and the experience to lead need to shut up about that now, he has clearly proved them wrong on that point.
John McCain's debate performance was combative, condescending, and confusing. He never once looked at Barack Obama and never engaged him as an equal. He always seemed to lead with a distortion of Obama's views or a flat-out lie. It was a very dishonest, disconcerting, disturbing, and extremely non-presidential performance.

The United States of America is currently reeling from the weight of its numerous issues and problems, we need our next president to be able to engage others with grace and respect, to work collaboratively and be willing to compromise. If elected, will John McCain talk to his cabinet, the Congress, and leaders of other nations in such a dismissive and nasty fashion? We need diplomacy in this country, not destruction of one's opponents.

McCain scared me tonight. His main message seems to be that he is going to fire everybody who doesn't do what he wants and he is going to fight with everyone who doesn't agree with him. I don't want people running my government who are in fear of being fired and I don't want to go to war with every nation in the world.

McCain's political views and leadership style is very dangerous. It's nice to be able to fight well, but it is equally important to be able to negotiate. John McCain has made clear he is only interested in doing the former and completely unwilling or unable to do the latter.

6 comments:

wisdomteachesme September 27, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

lol, of course he took that round under his belt.

guurrll please-- i saw about 10-15 mins of it and the old man was talking himself into a deeper ditch of confusion trying to remember all the lies he and his people have told.
lolol
palin will be crushed!
i bet she will have one of those ear rec'er on to hear what someone else tells her to say.
again, i am so glad that God is still in control!

when i think of old man and reject barbie girl being in the white house in wash. dc, i see nero falling down among the ruins that he set forth by his selfishness and greed.
lol

Shurl September 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

I was very annoyed at McCain's inability/refusal to acknowledge Obama. He wouldn't look at him...he barely glanced at him during their initial handshake. I think it's insulting. And if I didn't know better, maybe a bit racist? Obama earned his place on stage next to McCain and he needs to show respect for that.

McCain's constant comments about Obama's 'naive" comments or how he "just doesn't understand" were insulting, too. Just because he's an old man, doesn't mean he knows better.

McCAins two oldest kids were born in 1959 and 1962!! No wonder he condescends to Obama!!

I hope Biden wipes the floor with Palin. I don't care if that doesn't really decide elections.

Claudia September 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

I agree, Shirley! I also found McCain's refusal to look at Obama odd and insulting, but I was positively outraged by his frequent references to Obama as naive. McCain acted as if he couldn't believe he actually had to debate Obama and respond to his questions. He kept referring to all the places he had visited as if Palin just didn't get her passport five second ago. It was infuriating!

And speaking of Palin, I just read that her practice debate and press conferences were "disastrous." I can't wait until next week!!!!

T. Nichol September 27, 2008 at 7:43 PM  

All I was thinking about during the debate was if McCain started a story a sentence with something about a war and the military that had no relation to what the topic was, I was gonna scream. I know he went through a lot as a POW, but seriously get that in check, because I feel like IF he is elected, he's going to be living in the past and we will be in conflict with everyone around the world.
I gonna be honest when I say I was a little disappointed at BOTH candidates lack of effort to actually talk to each other instead of the audience when they addressed an issue, especially after it was pointed out by Jim Laher. If you didn't know it then, its been made clear now that McCain has absolutely no love from Obama and showed his Elitist side. McCain looked like a complete IDIOT talking bout Obama's earmarks, when his VP choice is the Queen of earmarks. Should have strayed away from that Johnny boy. I know how I'm going to vote for, but I must say if I was on the fence, Friday night wouldn't have made my mind up.

Faith at Acts of Faith Blog September 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM  

I was disappointed. I really wanted Obama to smack some sense into McCain. And his "you don't understand" spiel was really annoying!! But I'm not an Independent voter and apparently Obama performed well amongst them so I guess mission accomplished. I'd like to know when McCain is gonna get hanged with his votes for the banking deregulation that led to this problem. If I can Google this info why isn't it discussed!!!! That is really pissing me off. And yes I am SICK of the 'lack of experience' tag. It's total BS and McCain knows it. I don't think Palin will do poorly in the debate next week. She's going to fight dirty, tell a bunch of lies and come out as a victim and therefore 'win'. Watch. I hope I'm wrong. Biden could be walking into a trap if he's not careful.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo September 30, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

i turned the vol down, and could only think of the history of ole miss and james meredith

Live Feed For Aunt Jemima's Revenge

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP